The only dough you need to know: Mini Pizza Dough Buns
The only dough you need to master
Pizza dough is the only “bread” I know how to make, but the versatility of what you can make with it is endless. I've made everything from garlic twist buns, bread sticks, flatbread to dinner rolls with this recipe! The only thing that ever changes is the oven temperature and the amount of time it bakes.
These mini buns are crusty on the outside & fluffy in the middle, which make them perfect for mopping up sauce or having with a charcuterie board if that's your thing.
Bread dough worth fighting over
Every time I make them, it brings me back to those days when my parents used to order in pizza and it would come with a little dough ball in the middle. It's only purpose was to keep the limpy cardboard box from touching the cheese and tasted exactly the same as the rest of the crust... but we fought over it like banshees. Ah. The good old days.
36 mini buns
2C warm water
2t quick yeast
1T olive oil
10 min prep + 1h rise + 18 mins bake
- In a large mixing bowl add the warm water, sugar & salt then mix until they are dissolved.
- Sprinkle in yeast and wait until it becomes active, you will see it foam when it's ready.
- Add olive oil then the flour and knead with your hands (or a dough knife) until all the flour is incorporated.
- Cover tightly with shrink wrap and let the dough rise for an hour.
- Preheat your oven at 325.
- On a well floured surface, and with slightly oiled hands, dump the batter and begin to tear it into little chunks and rolling them into balls that will fit inside mini-muffin holes.
- Once your tray is full bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Serve warm with preserves & butter or as mini dinner rolls.